Saturday, April 10, 2010

Blended Learning vs. E-Learning

It has been really exciting learning about the advantages and disadvantages of both Blended Learning and e-Learning. There are many definitions for e-learning. Nearly every article you read has a slightly different one. I am talking about e-learning that is totally web-based, just like the course we are doing. Blended learning is also described in a variety of ways. I am thinking about a blended learning environment that draws on the strengths of both a traditional style learning and e-learning.

I started out thinking that e-Learning had some advantages but that my assignment would also highlight lots of disadvantages. I was wrong! Most of the readings I have read highlight lots of strengths which I wouldn’t have thought of such as the reduced costs to the institution and how it gives students the chance to work at their own pace.

None the less, I still believe that Blended Learning is a more favourable approach. Research strongly indicates that face-to-face interaction between a student and an expert or co-learners remains critical to learning and has a significant impact on it. If a blended learning programme is design well, it can draw on the strengths of both e-learning and traditional learning.

1 comment:

  1. I certainly agree with you about the value of 'blended learning" but I think that the term is probably not of great relevance when considering what happens in schools,which is why I prefer to use the MoE's broader definition of er-learning in this context.

    The distinction between "e-learning" and "blended" really only has meaning in the context of distance education where it is possible to have totally online courses. Schools are usually places where students "go to school" so there is seldom any use of ICT which is not "blended". Even when there is some kind of tele-teaching (For example with "The Correspondence School" (they have now changed their name)or some ruralschool networks that share teachers, there is usually an element of face-to-face teaching supported by a local teacher.

    ReplyDelete